I often get asked about where to sell printables once you have created them. Selling printables as a digital download is one of my favorite business models. I love the concept of creating a printable or planner one time, but being able to sell it to your end customers multiple times. This method can create passive income for you over time. You can make money selling online without having to constantly rely on selling & constantly creating brand new digital products only.
Just to be sure we are on the same path, a printable is a digital download that can be printed out and written on. Or it could be in an editable format and filled in online. Or it can be used in a Notes App such as Goodnotes and used in a digital planner.
Printables are digital files that customers can download and print at home, making them an ideal product for the modern age. From stylish planners and educational worksheets to stunning wall art and party invitations, the possibilities are virtually endless. Not only are printables in high demand, but they also offer numerous benefits for both sellers and buyers.
To get started let's do a quick recap of what printables are.
Please note this blog post may contain affliate links, if you make a purchase I may be compensated. Thank you so much!
What are Printables?
Online printables, are basically digital files that customers can purchase, download, and print themselves. These files can take various forms, including PDFs, JPEGs, PNGs, or other formats, depending on the nature of the printable product. Here's a more detailed explanation of what printables are:
Definition of Printables: Printables are essentially design templates or digital assets that cater to specific needs. They can range from decorative artwork, organizational tools, educational resources, to party supplies and more. Customers pay for the digital file, not a physical product, which allows for easy distribution and access. Regardless of their timezone and location a customer can access their product via a digital download at any time of the day of night.
Types of Printables to Sell
Types of Printables: The diversity of printables is remarkable. You can create printables for virtually any niche or interest. Common types include:
- Planners and Calendars: Daily, weekly, and monthly planners, as well as specialized calendars for various purposes.
- Art Prints: Decorative art, inspirational quotes, and customizable wall decor.
- Worksheets and Educational Materials: Worksheets for teachers, homeschoolers, or students covering subjects like math, language arts, and science.
- Party Supplies: Invitations, banners, labels, and decorations for birthdays, weddings, and other special occasions.
- Business Tools: Business cards, logos, templates, and branding materials for entrepreneurs and small businesses.
- Self-Care and Wellness: Health trackers, meditation guides, and self-improvement resources.
- Games and Activities: This is a huge niche that caters to both adults and children.
Then on top of these niches or interests you can target potential customers by age and gender. This means you could create a gardening planner for moms, young children and seniors. The garden template would be very similar and all you need to do is make some small changes for each one.
Using the Affirmation Pack above you could change out the background for a more kids friendly version, then create a teen version. Then from there you could expand on the journal and 30 day challenge pages to create new versions. Sometimes all you need to do is just change out colors, backgrounds and fonts. You then have a new printable pack to sell.
Advantages of Selling Printables Online:
As you can read below the advantages for selling printables are wonderful and is part of the reason I started adding them into my line of digital products.
- Low Overhead: Selling printables doesn't require physical inventory or shipping costs, which significantly reduces your overhead expenses.
- Passive Income Potential: Once created, digital printables can be sold repeatedly without the need for continuous production.
- Creative Freedom: You have the creative freedom to design products that resonate with your unique style and cater to specific target audiences.
- Global Reach: The internet allows you to reach customers from around the world, expanding your market potential.
Benefits of Selling Printables Online
Selling printables online offers numerous advantages for both sellers and buyers, making it a win-win venture. Let's explore these benefits in more detail:
Advantages for Sellers:
- Flexibility: You can work on your printable products at your own pace, making it an ideal side hustle or full-time business.
- Scalability: As your shop grows, you can add more products to increase your income potential.
- Creative Outlet: It provides a creative outlet for designers, artists, and entrepreneurs to showcase their talents and ideas.
- Low Risk: With minimal upfront costs, it's a low-risk business model, making it accessible to beginners.
- Passive Income: Once uploaded, printables can be sold 24/7, providing a source of passive income.
Advantages for Buyers:
The world of digital products really allows you to sell to anyone around the world at any time of the day. It can open up new markets that you may have never considered before.
- Convenience: Customers can instantly download the products they purchase, eliminating the need for shipping and waiting.
- Affordability: Digital printables are often more affordable than physical alternatives.
- Customization: Buyers can personalize printables to suit their preferences or needs.
- Access to Expertise: Customers can access professional designs and resources that they might not be able to create themselves.
By understanding these advantages, both sellers and buyers can appreciate the value of selling and purchasing printables online. In the following sections, we will explore how to tap into this market effectively as a seller and cater to the demands of your target audience.
Where to Sell Printables Online
Choosing the right platform for selling your printables is a critical decision that can significantly impact your business's success. There are several online marketplaces and eCommerce platforms that cater specifically to digital download products like printables. Here, we'll explore some of the most popular options and discuss their advantages and disadvantages:
How to Sell Printables Online:
When it comes to how to sell printables online you need to have certain things in place:
Here's some of my favorite resources that you might want to look into:
Shopping Carts - you could simply use a PayPal button to sell your products to get started with. When I first started selling printables online I used Easy Digital Downloads. You could also look at Woo-Commerce but this does have to be configured on your website or on a sub-domain.
The basics of Woo-commerce is free and there is a great training available on how to install and set up Woo-Commerce for your printables store.
How to Sell Printables on Etsy
Selling on Etsy: This has to be one of the most popular places to start selling your printables from. It's free to set up and you can take advantage of their huge traffic source. It's a great way to get started and find new customers. Then as you start generating income you may want to consider setting up your products on your own website. This way you own the site and the content and don't have to worry about Etsy deciding to shut down your store.
Top Advantages for Selling on Etsy:
- Large Audience: Etsy is a well-established marketplace with millions of active buyers searching for unique and handmade items, including printables.
- User-Friendly: Setting up an Etsy shop is relatively easy, even for beginners.
- Community: The platform has a supportive community of sellers who often share tips and advice.
- Customization: You can personalize your Etsy shop to reflect your brand and style.
Some of the Disadvantages include:
- Fees: Etsy charges listing fees, transaction fees, and payment processing fees, which can add up.
- Competition: Due to its popularity, there is substantial competition among printable sellers on Etsy.
- Limited Control: You have limited control over the platform's features and may need to adhere to certain rules and policies.
If the thought of paying fees just to list your printables is holding your back, then you can use this link to get 40 free listings on Etsy. Please note it applies to brand new stores only and you have to actually set up and load your first product to get the credits into your account.
How to Sell Printables on Gumroad
Selling on Gumroad is not one of my top choices, but I wanted to add it for you as many new sellers do opt for using this site.
Advantages for Selling on Gumroad:
- Simplicity: Gumroad is straightforward to use and offers a seamless shopping experience for customers.
- Pricing Flexibility: You can set your own prices, offer discounts, and even create subscription-based products.
- No Listing Fees: Gumroad doesn't charge listing fees, which can be appealing for sellers on a budget.
- Email Marketing: The platform integrates with email marketing tools, allowing you to build and nurture your customer base.
Main Disadvantages of Gumroad:
- Smaller Audience: While Gumroad is growing, it may not have the same level of built-in traffic as larger marketplaces.
- Limited Discoverability: Your products may not be as discoverable compared to marketplaces with extensive search algorithms.
- Increased Fees: Gumroad has recently increased the fees they charge when you make sales. It is now 10% much more expensive than other platforms such as Payhip and Lemon Squeezy.
How to Sell Printables on Payhip
Payhip is another popular choice and is based out of the U.K. They have a free account option and two paid options. You can visit the Payhip site for more details.
- Ease of Use: Payhip is user-friendly and designed for selling digital products, including printables.
- Customizable: You can create a branded digital storefront and set your own pricing.
- Affordability: Payhip offers reasonable pricing plans, with no upfront costs.
- Free Plan: It's easy to get started using their free plan to get your shop set up.
- Affiliate Program: Payhip offers an integrated affiliate program.
- Smaller Audience: Payhip may not have the same level of traffic as more prominent marketplaces.
- Marketing Responsibility: You are responsible for driving traffic and marketing your Payhip store.
- Fees: The fees on the free plan are 5% when you make sales plus any PayPal or Stripe fees.
- Customizing: I have heard people say that it can be a little tricky to get things looking the way you would like.
Overall Payhip is a good choice when it comes to start know where to sell your Printables online. It was one of the ecommerce platforms that I definitely took a look at.
How to Sell Printables on Lemon Squeezy
Lemon Squeezy is a site that I came across recently and so far I have been impresssed with it. It has an affiliate program if you decide later on that you want to use this option. The fees are also 5% the same as Payhip. This site was created specifically with digital product creators in mind. I am actually going to start a store on this platform and will report back on that for you.
Advantages of Selling on Lemon Squeezy:
- Focus on Printables: Lemon Squeezy is a platform specifically designed for selling digital printables.
- Creative Community: It has a creative community and marketplace dedicated to printables and planners.
- Targeted Audience: Your products will be exposed to an audience interested in printables.
- Email Marketing: Lemon Squeezy allows you to have up to 500 free subscribers on their plan before any charges are made.
- New Features: New updates and features are being added, another great point in my opinion.
Disadvantages of Selling with Lemon Squeezy:
- Smaller Audience: Lemon Squeezy may have a smaller user base compared to more established platforms.
- Marketing Effort: Like with any platform, you'll need to actively market your products to drive sales.
Get more details about selling on Lemon Squeezy Here.
How to Sell Printables on Pinterest
Selling on Pinterest, Pinterest is known as a search engine and is incredibily popular. It has evolved recently and you are now allowed to add URL's to your Pins. This is how you can redirect potential customers back to your main site.
You can create Pins in Canva for free and you should make sure they have your website logo and brand colors on them. This way visitors can identify your Pins and brand more easily. You do need to spend time creating your graphics and actually pinning them. It's also important to Pin and share other creators content as well, so it doesn't look as though you are always self-promoting your digital products.
Advantages of Using Pinterest:
- Visual Discovery: Pinterest is a highly visual platform, making it ideal for showcasing your printables through appealing pins.
- Traffic Generation: You can create pins that lead to your product listings on other platforms, driving traffic and sales.
- Community Engagement: Engaging with the Pinterest community through boards and group boards can help expand your reach.
Disadvantages of Pinterest:
- Limited Selling Features: Pinterest is primarily a content discovery platform; it doesn't have built-in eCommerce features like checkout functionality.
How to Sell Printables on Shopify
Selling your printables on Shopify: This is another solid choice when it comes to knowing where to sell printables that you have created. I did try a Shopify store a number of years ago, it's a good business model that looks professional. I was running another project at the time so I didn't upload enough printables to start making a profit.
I suggest if you go this route, to make your Shopify store your main focus. The biggest downside is the monthly cost, especially when you get started. If you can I would opt for a yearly plan as this can save you quite a bit of money. Then really work your store to get it going and to start profiting from it.
Advantages of Shopify:
- Full Control: Shopify gives you complete control over your online store, allowing for customization and branding.
- Scalability: You can expand your business and add features as it grows.
- Integrated Payments: Shopify integrates with various payment gateways, making it easy to accept payments from customers.
- SEO Optimization: You can optimize your Shopify store for search engines to improve visibility.
Disadvantages of Shopfiy:
- Cost: Running a Shopify store involves monthly fees, and you'll need to manage hosting and domain costs.
- Steeper Learning Curve: Shopify may have a steeper learning curve for beginners compared to other platforms.
- Paying for Extras: You may find that you need to start paying more each month to add extra functionality to your stores.
How to Sell Printables on Teachers Pay Teachers
Teachers Pay Teachers (TpT):
Advantages on Selling with Teachers Pay Teachers:
- Educational Focus: TpT is tailored for educators, making it an excellent choice if you create educational printables.
- Targeted Audience: You can reach a niche audience of teachers and parents looking for educational resources.
- Community: TpT has a strong community of educators and content creators.
Disadvantages of Using Teachers Pay Teachers:
- Competition: The educational niche on TpT can be highly competitive.
- Limited Scope: While ideal for educational materials, it may not be suitable for other types of printables.
- Lower Profit: You can earn more with TpT by upgrading to a paid plan. Currently this costs just under $60 per year. So if you plan on making this a focus it is well worth the investment.
Selling printables on Teachers Pay Teachers is easy to do and can be very profitable. My favorite resource for learning exactly how to get started with Teachers Pay Teachers is from Beth Anne and she has a Getting Started with Educational Printables On TPT training.
Hopefully this list of places of where to sell your printables is helpful, it is by no means exhaustive. There are plenty of other platforms available for you. I suggest you take a look at these ones and try to find the best model that fits your budget, and type of printables you want to create.
If you have any questions at all just post in the comments section. I look forward to seeing what you create and where you decide to sell your printables.